Dispute Resolution & Arbitration
Our disputes resolution team has been entrusted to handle some of the most complex legal cases in Latvia, and has successfully represented clients on everything from high value damage claims to disputes on new and principal matters of law and complex property disputes. We have experience in Latvian civil and administrative courts as well as the Latvian Constitutional Court and the European Court of Justice.
- Successful representing of the European Central Bank in the claim against the Republic of Latvia in the European Court of Justice on infringement of independence of national central bank’s Governor and revoking of security measures prohibiting performance of functions of the Governor of Latvijas banka.
- Representing SIA Alfor and SIA Admirāļu klubs in administrative proceeding on illegal revocation of gambling hall opening permits by the Riga City Council, inter aliawith respect to submission of application to the Latvian Constitutional Court.
- Representing Latvian Gambling Business Association in Constitutional court with respect to legality of provisions of Riga city historical center territorial plan prohibiting opening of gambling halls in certain parts of historical center.
- Acting for AS “Pasažieru vilciens” (Passenger Rail) in a public procurement dispute with a number on tenderers relatedto procurement of new passenger trains in Procurement Supervision Bureau and administrative courts.
- Representing of an international insurance company in a number of “Maxima cases” on compensation of damages due to the collapse of Maxima shopping center.
- Representation of one of Big Four accounting firms in litigation related to alleged professional negligence in auditing of Latvian licensed bank and reporting to regulatory institutions resulting in favourable settlement for client.
- Successful representation of Latvian private individuals in a number of multi-jurisdictional damage claims in relation to matters before courts outside of Latvia, including the Commercial Court of London.
- Representing 4finance in major tax litigation on tax treatment of donations made to not-to-profit organizations.
- Acting for AS “Seesam Insurance” Latvia branch on insurance disputes including a dispute over policy interpretation and building designer liability.
- Recognition of a number of foreign court and arbitration decisions in Latvia, including asset freezing orders.
- Legal representation in civil and administrative court proceedings
Legal representing in the European Court of Justice
Drafting of constitutional claims and representation in the Latvian Constitutional Court
- Ensuring efficient communication and joint approach with foreign law firms in cross border disputes
- Preliminary assessment as to viability and cost effectiveness of claim or defence
- Draft demands, claims, legal opinions
- White collar crime defence work
- Settlement negotiations and agreements
- Debt collection
- Public procurement appeals
- Tax disputes
- Securing claims
Recognition and enforcement of foreign court decisions
Contacts related to the field